眾子啊,要聽父親的教訓,留心得知聰明。
Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
眾子啊,要聽父親的教訓,留心得知聰明。
Hear, O sons, a father's instruction, and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
因我所給你們的是好教訓;不可離棄我的法則〔或作「指教」〕。
for I give you good precepts; do not forsake my teaching.
我在父親面前為孝子,在母親眼中為獨一的嬌兒。
When I was a son with my father, tender, the only one in the sight of my mother,
父親教訓我說:你心要存記我的言語,遵守我的命令,便得存活。
he taught me and said to me, “Let your heart hold fast my words; keep my commandments, and live.
要得智慧,要得聰明,不可忘記,也不可偏離我口中的言語。
Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
不可離棄智慧,智慧就護衛你;要愛她,她就保守你。
Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you.
智慧為首;所以,要得智慧。在你一切所得之內必得聰明〔或作「用你一切所得的去換聰明」〕。
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight.
高舉智慧,她就使你高升;懷抱智慧,她就使你尊榮。
Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her.
她必將華冠加在你頭上,把榮冕交給你。
She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.”
我兒,你要聽受我的言語,就必延年益壽。
Hear, my son, and accept my words, that the years of your life may be many.
我已指教你走智慧的道,引導你行正直的路。
I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness.
你行走,腳步必不致狹窄;你奔跑,也不致跌倒。
When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble.
要持定訓誨,不可放鬆;必當謹守,因為它是你的生命。
Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.
不可行惡人的路;不要走壞人的道。
Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil.
要躲避,不可經過;要轉身而去。
Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on.
這等人若不行惡,不得睡覺;不使人跌倒,睡臥不安;
For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong; they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble.
因為他們以奸惡吃餅,以強暴喝酒。
For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
但義人的路好像黎明的光,越照越明,直到日午。
But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day.
惡人的道好像幽暗,自己不知因甚麼跌倒。
The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.
我兒,要留心聽我的言詞,側耳聽我的話語,
My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.
都不可離你的眼目,要存記在你心中。
Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart.
因為得著它的,就得了生命,又得了醫全體的良藥。
For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh.
你要保守你心,勝過保守一切〔或作「你要切切保守你心」〕,因為一生的果效是由心發出。
Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
你要除掉邪僻的口,棄絕乖謬的嘴。
Put away from you crooked speech, and put devious talk far from you.
你的眼目要向前正看;你的眼睛〔原文作「皮」〕當向前直觀。
Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you.
要修平你腳下的路,堅定你一切的道。
Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure.
不可偏向左右;要使你的腳離開邪惡。
Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil.